Friday, April 16, 2010

Floorboards

What a mess! When I got the car, the floorboards were in pretty rough shape, but not so much so that it's worth replacing. Most of the worst was held behind soundproofing material made of what looked like foil covered plastic bubble wrap. I think this helped keep moisture that found its way below firmly in place.

Drivers Side

Passenger Side

Original Condition:

On removing the soundproofing, the resulting condition was worrisome. A lot of surface rust, flaked off paint, and cracks. On closer inspection, it really wasn't all that bad and needed a lot of TLC to bring back to a usable condition.

Stage 1 Hand Brush:

A heavy hand brush was used to rough out the worst of the flaked paint a heavy duty rust. I used compressed air to blow out the remains until I found I had more rust dust than anticipated and moved to a shop vac to suck the remains out.

Stage 2 Air Brush:

The first wire cup I used was old and worn out. It got quite a bit of stuff off but wasn't very effective on the finer rust areas. I moved to a new wire cup, and it really got after the rust accumulation. The cup is too big to get into the tight corners though...

Stage 3 Air Wheel:

I used a wire wheel to attack the stubborn parts resisting the cup, and the edges the cup couldn't touch. I was able to get most of the worst off. There remains cracks in the metal that I will try and weld over, and hopefully paint the entirety with rust encapsulator.

Drivers Side
Passenger Side
Original Condition:

The soundproofing was already removed on the front floor-pan, deep surface rust is what is on what is poorly installed replacement pans. The metal is definitely solid though.

Stage 1 Hand Brush:

A heavy hand brush was used, but didn't even phase the rust, so I immediately moved to stage 2.

Stage 2 Air Brush:

The wire cup didn't really do to much to it either. The rust just simply doesn't want to come off.

Stage 3 Air Wheel:

I used a wire wheel to attack the stubborn parts resisting the cup. I was able to get some of the rust off. I probably will attach it with the wheel a few more times before sealing the thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment