Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Goal 2: Parts Order

Goal 2: Metal Work

I was quite aware that there was bodywork issues on the car, well before I even thought about buying the car. There are a few dents, nothing major, but the area between the front and rear tires on both sides are really bad off.

Rocker Panels need replacement and the rear panels need patches.

The doors will have to be removed, I need them off anyway, and I will need to brace the door frame during the repair to prevent warping the body.

I am ordering:

ROCKER PANEL LH and RH MK1-MK3 SPIT


INNER SILL-LH and RH

ROCKER PANEL END CAP LH and RH

LOWER REAR FENDER REPAIR LH and RH

This is a marked up visual of what the replacement parts will look like once on the car and primed.



My Thoughts:

I never have welded or replaced panels of this magnitude before and I am not really all that concerned with it. I have many people I know that weld, some professionally, and I can always learn from them. Also, being my baby is stored at a body shop, there is a semi-infinite supply of body metal replaced on the cars. This should provide me with as much material that I can mangle in learning.

It really doesn't make since to sink the $300+ to change out the metal panels if the car is not running. I am going out on a limb here and assume that I can get it running. I don't have a handy mechanic, I do have a carb guy that can help me.

I am running behind on this project and am beginning to get concerned about getting the car rolling pre-summer. It is important to have to on the road to at least get some driving enjoyment before the winter shuts down the fun. To roll it, I need the engine running, the rotten panels replaced, and the car re-painted and re-assembled. Then License Plate, Insurance, etc... The interior can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment