Monday, August 23, 2010

Floorboard Time

Along the theme of time stabilization, I present to you the floorboards. Considering that I have had them exposed for several months, the floorboards seemed to be resisting the urge to rust over. Well, then came the storms. Repeated days and days of rain brought humidity and a leak in the roof brought water into contact with the floor pans. Though the car was covered with a Katrina Tarp and, true to it's nature, it will allow water through it.

Drivers Side

After hitting it with the wire brush one more time and blowing it out, I sprayed this section. Overall, it looks great, even better than this picture shows. The particles of debris are from the other side of the car. The paint had time to dry so this should be pretty easy to blow out of the car.

Passenger Side
True to the nature of things, I budgeted one spray car for the rocker panels and the floorboards. That means that I ran out just before completing this task. The gray was a primer that was used to close the gap till I got another can. I went and got another can that covered this section up. On moving to the next area, I pressed the sprayer and it went pst, and nothing... I returned the can and got another one. They said I didn't shake it enough! Well after 2-3 minutes of shaking, I felt like my arm was doing to fall off.


Drivers Side
The replacement panels are a bit of a conundrum. They appear to be thicker metal than original, but are definitely the correct shape. The rust was significant and deep, but seems not to have harmed the integrity of the metal. Again, the debris was blown from the other side of the car after the paint dried.

Passenger Side
This is the reason for the stabilization work. The roof leak dropped water on the tarp. The tarp allowed water to drip onto this area and quickly developed a lot of rust. Much more so than I thought was OK. I again brushed the area to remove the rust and sprayed the area to give it some degree of protection. A week later, the leak is still there, water is still dripping on this spot, but it is now a dried up spot on the paint rather than a festering wound.

No comments:

Post a Comment