Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Engine Information

On further review of the Engine, it appears not to be the original engine. Code on the block reads FP28068UE.


Based on that information, http://www.triumphspitfire.com/enginenumbers.html defines my engine as a 1492cc, 1500 MG Midget (1975-79) for the US market. A Midget engine in a Spitfire?!? Well, not so fast! During that time-frame, MG was under the same parent company and they made MG use the Spitfire 1500 engine of the time!

Well, that makes me feel better, though now it opens up a host of new issues, or as Spitfire owners would call them adventures. What Parts do I use for the Engine, what car DID it come out of? What parts are affected by this different engine? Drat!

Well, thankfully, I am not attempting or have ever wanted to attempt to stay "Pure". I want to stay stock looking but if the engine doesn't match the car, I simply don't care, just as long as I can get it running and driving. I will have a roundtail with a squaretail engine and who knows what else...

First perplexing issue for me is I need a battery to start the engine testing for fire-up. Do I use a battery for a 1969 MKIII Spitfire, a 1975-79 MG 1500 Midget, or a 1975-79 1500 Spitfire? I'm looking to spend less than $100 for a battery.

I will be trying to narrow down the date of engine, finding to be included in a future post. Helpful suggestions always welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment